TJ Jeep Wrangler Specs
TJ Jeep Wrangler – Everything You Need to Know.
The TJ Jeep Wrangler was unveiled on January 2, 1996, at the Detroit Auto Show. 4 months later, in April of 1996, The TJ Wrangler arrived in showrooms after 6 years of overall investment and 3 years of product development.
One of the most groundbreaking updates was the coil spring suspension, based on the Grand Cherokee’s design. Another major change was going back to the round headlights of the CJ era, because the previous model Wrangler YJ had square headlights. Over the 9 model years, there were three engine options, the 4.0 PowerTech Inline 6, the 2.5L AMC inline 4, and the 2.4L PowerTech inline 4.
A few notable changes over the years for the Jeep Wrangler TJ:
- In 2002, the 3-speed automatic transmission was upgraded to a 4-speed with overdrive
- The Jeep TJ Wrangler was the last production vehicle to use AMC-related parts.
There were many trim levels to the TJ Jeep Wrangler. Here are some notable features:
- 1997 – 2006 TJ Jeep Wrangler SE – This is the base model and happens to be the model I own. This comes standard with the 4-cylinder motor.
- 1997 – 2006 TJ Jeep Wrangler Sport – Came standard with 4.0L motor, Dana 35 rear axle.
- 1997 – 2004 TJ Jeep Wrangler Sahara – Came standard with 4.0L motor, wider fender flares, full steel doors and Sahara branding.
- 2001 TJ Jeep Wrangler 60th Anniversary Edition – Shipped with Sahara standard features minus all the Sahara decals – instead had 60th Anniversary decals. Only 4,067 were produced.
- 2002-2006 TJ Jeep Wrangler Rubicon – Came standard with 4.0L motor, front & rear air locking Dana 44 axles, Rock-Trac transfer case, and diamond plate rockers. 2003-2004 featured a 5-speed manual transmission and in 2004 that became a Mercedes-sources 6-speed manual. From 2003-2006 you could also get a 4-speed automatic.
- 2002-2003 TJ Jeep Apex Edition – Came standard with 4.0L motor, chrome-plated wheels, cognac “Ultra-Hide” seating and exclusive branding.
- 2002-2006 TJ Jeep Wrangler X – Came standard with the 4.0L motor but no option for the Dana 44 rear axle.
- 2003 TJ Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition – Came with 4.0L motor, full metal doors, body-colored flares and exclusive branding.
- 2003 TJ Jeep Wrangler Tomb Raider Edition – This is one of the most collectable Jeeps of all time due to its long list of custom accents including custom wheels, interior, flares and badging.
- 2003-2005 TJ Jeep Rocky Mountain Edition – Came with 4.0L motor, Dana 44 rear axle, 30” tire package, Diamond plate rocker guards and exclusive branding.
- 2004 TJ Jeep Wrangler Columbia Edition – Came standard with 4.0L motor, graphite wheels and seating, Columbia branding and a Columbia Bugaboo parka.
- 2004-2005 TJ Jeep Willys Edition – Came standard with 4.0L motor, green diamond plate rocker guards, camo seats and custom branding. About 1000 were produced.
- 2005 TJ Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition Unlimited Rubicon – This model was released with the movie Sahara with 1000 produced and numbered. They are light khaki with a chrome grille, graphite Moab wheels and Sahara branding.
- 2006 TJ Jeep Wrangler Golden Eagle – Came standard with 4.0L motor, Dana 44 axle, 30” tires package, exclusive hood and branding.
- 2006 TJ Jeep 65th Anniversary Edition – Shipped with Sahara standard features minus all the Sahara decals plus Sirius Satellite Radio, SunRider soft top, 15” Alcoa aluminum wheels and 30” tires, Dana 44 rear axle & 65th Anniversary branding. Only 1600 were produced.
To learn even more about the TJ Jeep Wrangler please visit Wikipedia.
This is a great video for those of us with a TJ Jeep Wrangler. Watch what a lot of money and some time can do to one of these awesome Jeeps. And if you want to find a Jeep Forum to belong to or more specifically a TJ Jeep forum check out our Top 10 list.